Keep in mind, like any floor covering, hardwood floors will show signs of wear over time, depending on the size and lifestyle of your family. By observing a few precautions and setting up a regular cleaning routine and maintenance program, you can expect years of beauty from your floor. The following are examples of the simple and necessary maintenance you should perform to help keep your floors looking great. These are not intended to be an exclusive list.
By following these few simple rules today, you can enjoy your new Garrison Collection floor for years to come and minimize the need for repair and refinishing tomorrow!
- Dirt, grit and sand act like sandpaper to scratch, dent and dull hardwood floors. You should place floor mats at exterior entrances to trap dirt.
- Avoid walking on floor with high heels or spiked shoes.
- Sweep, vacuum or dust mop at least weekly since built-up grit can damage the surface of the wood. The vacuum head should be a soft brush or felt type to avoid scratching. Be certain the wheels of the vacuum are clean and that they roll softly so that they do not damage the finish. DO NOT USE A VACUUM WITH A BEATER BAR HEAD.
- Use area rugs in high traffic areas and pivot points (e.g., stair landings, room entries, etc.), especially if you have a large family or indoor pets.
- Rubber backed rugs are not recommended as discoloration may occur due to plasticizers migrating out of some rug backings. Instead, rubber liners/pads that are made especially for rugs over hardwood floors are recommended. These liners also have holes in them for the wood to breathe and can be found at your local home improvement and some hardwood flooring stores.
- Remove all spills promptly using a soft cloth and recommended cleaning products. Any spills with acidic properties like pet urine, soda, etc. should especially be cleaned as soon as possible. Long periods of time uncleaned will likely damage your floor.
- French Connection and Time Inspired II Floors ONLY: Click here for special cleaning & maintenance procedures and refresher product. Contact your local dealer to purchase Woca products. All other floors: NEVER drench-mop, wet-mop, or flood your floor with water or other products. This can severely damage the flooring and will void the warranties. The use of a Swiffer® or other similar product that is lightly damped with a recommended cleaner is highly recommended. Do not use hardwood floor cleaning machines.
- Use an approved maintenance and floor-care products, such as but not limited to Garrison Cleaner, Woodwise or DuraSeal cleaning products. Follow specific instructions on bottle.
- IMPORTANT: Do not use oil soaps, liquid or paste wax products or other household cleaners that contain lemon oil, tung oil, silicon or ammonia since the warranty will not cover damage caused by non-recommended products. Use of these and other such products will harm the long-term performance of your floor and may also affect its recoat ability.
- Keep pets’ nails trimmed, and paws clean and free of dirt, gravel, grease, oil, and stains, etc.
- Place protective pads beneath furniture legs and feet to reduce scratches and dents.
- Use a dolly and protective sheets of plywood when moving heavy objects, furniture or appliances.
- Make certain furniture casters are clean and operate properly (a minimum 1” width is recommended).
- Exposure to the sun and its UV rays accelerates the oxidation and aging of wood and fabrics. This causes the stain and/or wood to fade and change color. We recommend closing curtains and blinds or adding sheer drapes to protect the floor from intense and direct sunlight. Rearrange rugs and furniture periodically so that the floor ages evenly. The warranty does not cover damage from the sun and its UV rays.